You may be wondering what ACLS stands for and who needs this certification? ACLS stands for Advanced Cardiac Life Support, and if you are in or pursuing a career in the health field, it might be required for you.
Who Needs an ACLS Certification?
Medical professionals who work in critical care or emergency units are required to be ACLS certified. Click To Tweet Likewise, nurses and other medical providers who work with cardiovascular patients (like nursing homes, emergency rooms, urgent care facilities) should also know ACLS protocol, or be certified.
ACLS Course Description
The ACLS certification is a 10.5 hour American Heart Association course in which students receive a two-year certification upon successful completion. ACLS provides a more in-depth training of advanced life support.
ACLS Course Content
The ACLS course includes:
- Airway management
- Basic life support skills, including effective chest compressions, use of a bag-mask device and use of an AED
- Effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
- Effective Resuscitation Team Dynamics
- Recognition and early management of peri-arrest conditions such as symptomatic bradycardia
- Recognition and early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
- Related pharmacology
- Key changes in advanced cardiovascular life support, reflecting the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Management of acute coronary syndromes (ACS) and stroke
There are a few prerequisites for attaining your ACLS Certification.
- Current American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR Card
- Basic knowledge of rhythm reading
- Basic knowledge of cardiac pharmacology
- The latest American Heart Association ACLS book
Your ACLS certification will need to be renewed every two years. The ACLS renewal course is 5.5 hours long and will last for two more years.
Getting Your ACLS Certification
If you are in the health field and work with cardiovascular patients, it is a good idea to get your ACLS certification. Many employers in the medical arena require this certification to ensure that all employees are properly trained and in the care and treatment of cardiac patients.
To learn more about getting your ACLS certification, Contact Us.